Social Media Kills People
In 2014 a cyberbullying study found that an astounding 52 percent of teens reported being cyberbullied over social media. I believe that social media sites could be doing more to protect their users from being cyber bullied online by paying a little more attention to what teens say and do online. If social media sites prevented cyber bullying from continuing on, then the internet and home life would be a safer place because it would prevent suicides from happening. All that social media sites would have to do is restrict commenting or keep a closer eye on what teenagers are doing on their sites.
| Screenshot from Facebook |
| "Shots of me" app logo from "Wikimedia" |
In fact, people do disagree with my opinion that social media sites could do a better job of protecting teenagers from cyberbullying. They blame the kids for being immature and stupid, not the social media sites. Kate Harding author of �Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere� says that social networking should not to be blamed for cyber bullying because it is only a medium for teenagers to wage their wars. She blames the educators and parents who should teach students responsible online behavior. She believes that Facebook should not take the blame for cruel cyber bullying because they could not have done anything to stop the one-million children on Facebook alone were harassed in 2011 as reported by Consumer reports.
I disagree with these statements because in one of the major cases of cyberbullying history, a life could have been saved if Facebook got involved in helping find the killer. This major case was about Amanda Todd. The man started stalking her from Amanda�s webcam at just eleven years old. Then one night Amanda made a terrible mistake, she flashed in front of 200 people. The man that had been stalking her took a picture then proceeded to blackmail her with them over Facebook. He told her to flash again for him 2 times or he would leak these pictures to her friends and family over Facebook. She only flashed for him once, so he made a Facebook account of just her and her nudes and sent the link to everyone in Amanda's contact list on Facebook. If Facebook had made the report abuse button before this happened to Amanda, and actually paid attention to the things that people report abuse on, then this could have stopped immediately. It was only after Amanda's death on October 10th 2012, that Facebook tried to intervene and stop the man by contacting the police and showing them all the conversations Amanda and the man had before her death.
Over the years the Internet and social media have influenced suicide-related behavior, and if social media paid closer attention to the risks then maybe they could save a few lives and cyberbullying from continuing on. Then, the internet and home life would be a safer place because parents and kids could feel like they weren't being bullied 24/7. The only thing that social media sites would have to do is hire more people to check over their site to make sure there is no cruel and mean behavior going on. If they encounter this behavior, then they should talk to the owner of the account and make sure they know they are being watched.
Bibliography
__________________________________________________________________________
Conclusion, Updated May 28th, 2015
Internet and home life would be so much safer and happier if we all knew that kids were not being cyber bullying and bullied when parents aren't watching. So, If social media sites prevented cyber bullying from continuing on, then the internet and home life would be a safer place. I learned that cyber bullying really does affect others in their daily life even more than before. Many people agree with me that it should be taken more seriously and they are glad I wrote my blog about this topic to raise awareness in a student point of view. I think my argument was very deep and hit them hard and hopefully made them understand that I didn't just do this for a grade. I hope they realize that I really do care about the thousands of kids getting cyber bullied every day and not being cared for. With all the comments that my peer have left, I have discovered many links that I missed out on that would have fit in perfectly in my blog. Although, with those resources and new articles that I read, I learned a lot more and really understood my topic even more. My comments did not change my mind because everyone agreed with me and where I stood on my topic.They definitely clarified my thinking and made me look at my point of view in many different ways by asking me questions I had to really think and sometimes do further research, for an answer. Blogging was so much fun and really made me step into the shoes of some of the kids that don�t have a very fortunate life and I really enjoyed writing about how I could possibly make a difference in their lives by reinstating the issue at hand.
Comment (0)
Post a Comment